Position Description: The primary responsibility of the Driver Manager is to provide optimal service to our customers (both paying customers and drivers) by monitoring and managing miles out to delivery using late route reports and ETA/OOR tools for handling load tenders working with CSR’s, Planners and drivers in a proactive (vs. reactive) manner. If this position is performed effectively, efficiencies will be gained and utilization improved as the DM’s push to take loads off the truck to then re-deploy the driver to meet pre-plan schedules optimizing driver hours and mileage chances. This is an exempt supervisory role with a work schedule of Monday – Friday days, rotating Saturdays and 1 holiday per year.
Service, driver turnover, fuel compliance, out of service and fleet efficiency metrics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Fulfill Dispatch function duties primarily the review of loads for Service compliance meeting driver needs; and transmission to drivers once determined feasible.
- Track and Monitor daily driver time on load and distance to next stop.
- Manage daily PTA/ETA of each driver and how far out they are each day.
- Manage RDO’s, pre-plans, home time and miles per day.
- Review driver messages and engage in conversation with each driver at least one time a day. Driver Retention/Turnover is a critical responsibility of this position.
- Administration and coordination of special needs of driver such as home time, physicals, maintenance (PMI), driver advances and X-Pay treatment and Driver Reviews.
- Review and respond proactively to Driver Pre-Assignments.
- Review and Report on ETA status at least 3x per day.
- Review and report to Fleet manager 1x per week results from Driver Efficiency Report.
- Provide counseling and coaching to drivers on monthly driver scorecard results.
- Communicate immediately with CSR’s and planners on late routes and at risk delivery appointments based on miles to destination and Hours Available reports
- Cost control via managing authorized route-lines thereby optimizing tolls, scales, engine idle/mpg performance, fuel compliance, QC usage, maintenance schedules and claims management.
- Other duties as assigned.